Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Sawbones (A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine) the Podcast

Something that I've very recently discovered are Podcasts.  I realize this is about a decade late but I never quite understood the concept of podcasting.  To be honest the reason I started to explore is because we could subscribe to our course podcasts and have them automatically be downloaded when they were ready.

After clerkships began I had to spent a considerable chunk of time in the car and after a while the same four songs on the radio start to be more of a headache than any kind of enjoyment.  Some of my favorites include Radio Lab, 99 Percent Invisible, Stuff You Missed In History Class and of course Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine.

I only happened to find this podcast more recently when a fellow medical student mentioned it in passing.  Sawbones takes a casual and comedic approach to some very serious medical history.  The hosts are a husband and wife pair Dr. Syndnee McElroy and her husband Justin  The two of them have amazing chemistry and their episodes are always well researched. . The topics they choose are essentially well intentioned but wholly incorrect, understanding and treatment of disease from back in the day.

One of my favorites episodes thus far has been one entitled Self Surgery that discussed some historic instances of people taking a knife to themselves, essentially performing self surgery.  Other topics have included: bloodletting, lobotomy and weight loss.

Overall I give it five stars for being both entertaining and intellectually stimulating simultaneously.If you're a semi-history buff and have any inclination towards medical history definitely check this out.

Now that my surgical rotation is over I just gained about 6 hours a day back into my life and am hoping to get back to my reading list which includes a fair handful of medically oriented texts including Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese, Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis and Complications by Atul Gawande.

Any other recommendations for this pseudo-Medical history buff?

No comments:

Post a Comment